Thursday, 21 July 2016

Dhoni says "Miss Tests but don't regret retiring"

         
           mejkwithyou.blogspot.in



MS Dhoni speaking about Indian tour of westindies




Mahendra Singh Dhoni, India's limited-overs captain, has acknowledged that he misses playing Test cricket, but doesn't regret his decision from retiring from the longest format of the game. The 35-year-old, who quit Test cricket in December 2014 after the third Test against Australia in Melbourne, compared the game to a bug that stays with cricketers even years after pulling the curtains down.
"Obviously you miss playing Test cricket but I don't regret it (retiring)," he said on Wednesday (July 20). "Look, for cricketers it's a passion or call it a bug that stays with you forever. It never leaves you. That's why you are all (seeing) these 40 and 50 plus cricketers who come back for commentary, coaching junior teams.
"As far as I am concerned, this (retirement) gives me a chance to spend time with my family. The time away from cricket has given me lot of time to plan my off season. I hit the gym more, do a lot of running, taking care of my body. Now, after 30, you need to be careful of your body. "In the last 10 years of extensive travelling, I have abused my body a lot. It's because of eating habits as it's more about what you intake that creates problem. So I have been taking care of my body," Dhoni said.
Talking about India's tour of West Indies, Dhoni said that spinners are going to play a key role in the series. "I think wickets will be slower in West Indies, but you never know. I think spinners will have a huge role to play," he said.
Dhoni seemed happy with the competition brewing in the team between the bowlers. "The more the competition better it is. It's good that finally we have a pool of 8-10 bowlers who are pushing for selection. If I look at a year back, during an ODI series against South Africa, there were a few bowlers who were injured," he said.
"And we have bowlers with all areas covered. If you want pace we have that. If you want swing, we have that. Of course, we have to be careful about injury management.
"We have a settled top six batting. There can be one or two new faces but more or less that's how the mix works. They have also played outside subcontinent and have necessary experience," Dhoni added.
Dhoni's next assignment is going to be the limited-overs home series against New Zealand in October.
credits to cricbuzz

No comments:

Post a Comment